Italian Vegetable Rotini Alfredo
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
8 ounces uncooked rotini
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fat free milk
1½ cups fat free half and half
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 can (14½ ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1. Sauté onion and garlic in oil in a small saucepan until tender. Set aside.
2. Prepare rotini according to package directions.
3. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth.
4. Reduce heat; slowly add milk.
5. Stir in half and half. Bring to a boil over medium low heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
6. Reduce heat and add the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
7. Add the onion-garlic mixture, tomatoes, and spinach. Heat through.
8. Drain the rotini and toss with the sauce mixture, coating evenly.
Makes 8 servings
One serving (1 cup) equals:
8 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat)
16 mg cholesterol
488 mg sodium
35 grams carbohydrate
3 grams fiber
13 grams protein
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/DronG.