At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Bacon Rigatoni and Asparagus
1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni pasta
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
8 bacon strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
⅔ cup half-and-half cream
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
4. In the same pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
5. Crumble bacon and set aside.
6. Sauté garlic in butter and oil for 1 minute. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
8. Stir in mozzarella cheese until melted.
9. Drain pasta; add to pan. Stir in the salt, asparagus, parsley and reserved bacon.
10. Sprinkle with pepper and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Makes 8 servings
1¼ cups equals:
13 grams fat (6 grams saturated fat)
32 mg cholesterol
428 mg sodium
44 grams carbohydrate
2 grams fiber
15 grams protein