Down Home Pork Chops and Gravy
1¼ cups 2% milk, divided
1½ cups soft bread crumbs
3 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
4 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon pepper, divided
3 Tablespoons butter, divided
3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
⅓ cup half-and-half cream
⅓ cup reduced-sodium beef broth
1. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and ½ cup milk.
2. Combine the bread crumbs, 1½ teaspoons of the parsley and all of the thyme in another shallow bowl.
3. Sprinkle pork chops with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
4. Dip pork chops in egg mixture, then crumb mixture.
5. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook pork chops in 2 Tablespoons butter for 4 minutes on each side.
6. Transfer to an ungreased 13×9 inch baking pan.
7. Bake, uncovered, at 425°F for 10 to 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
8. While pork chops are baking, melt remaining butter in the same frying pan.
9. Whisk in flour and remaining salt and pepper until smooth.
10. Gradually stir in the cream, broth and remaining milk.
11. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
12. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve gravy with the pork chops.
Makes 4 servings.
1 pork chop with ⅓ cup gravy equals:
392 calories, 19 grams fat (9 grams saturated fat)
126 mg cholesterol
799 mg sodium
18 grams carbohydrate
1 grams fiber
35 grams protein.