At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Pork Schnitzel with Mushroom Gravy
6 boneless pork loin chops (about 1-1/4 pounds)
Salt and pepper
9 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup plain dry bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
2 Tablespoons half and half
4 cups mashed potatoes (about 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced)
1. Boil potatoes for mashed potatoes.
2. While potatoes are cooking, pound pork chops with meat mallet to 1/8-inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place 1/2 cup flour in shallow dish. Lightly beat eggs in separate shallow dish.
4. Combine bread crumbs and parsley in another shallow dish.
5. Dredge chops in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in eggs, then into bread crumb mixture, turning to coat.
6. Heat oil and 2 Tablespoons butter in 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
7. Cook chops in two batches, 3 minutes per side, or until browned. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
8. Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium heat.
9. Add onion; cook and stir 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 6 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned and most of moisture has evaporated.
10. Stir in remaining 1 Tablespoon flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
11. Remove from heat; stir in half and half. Mash potatoes with butter and milk until creamy.
12. Spoon gravy over pork. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes on the side.