At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Healthy Turkey-Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
1 head cabbage
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. ground turkey
2 small onions, one minced, one sliced
1 slice stale whole wheat bread, crumbled
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 medium carrot, sliced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1. Rinse and core cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves and place in saucepan. Cover with boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove cooked cabbage leaves and drain on paper towel.
2. Shred 1/2 cup of raw cabbage and set aside.
3. Brown ground beef and turkey, and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
4. Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water, and pepper in mixing bowl.
5. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add 1/2 cup tomato juice from can to meat mixture. Mix well. Place 1/4 cup of filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf. Fold. Place folded side down in skillet.
6. Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage, and carrot. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cabbage is tender, basting occasionally.
7. Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter, keep warm.
8. Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in small bowl. Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 2 rolls
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 235 mg
Total fiber: 3 g
Protein: 20 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Potassium: 545 mg