Cheesy Baked Chili Mac Casserole
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
2. While macaroni is cooking; cook the beef, onion and garlic in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies and seasonings. Drain macaroni; add to beef mixture.
4. Transfer mixture to a 13×9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Cover and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.
6. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 7 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Makes 10 servings
One serving (1 cup) equals:
13 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat)
45 mg cholesterol
812 mg sodium
25 grams carbohydrate
6 grams fiber
32 grams protein