Skinny Italian Spaghetti Pie
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 cup finely chopped onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon pepper
6 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) fat free ricotta cheese
½ cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. In a nonstick frying pan, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, garlic powder, sugar and pepper; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the spaghetti, butter, egg whites and Parmesan cheese.
4. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch deep dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
5. Top with ricotta cheese, then the beef mixture.
6. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly across the top.
8. Bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and filling is heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Makes 6 servings
1 slice equals:
10 grams fat (5 grams saturated fat)
52 mg cholesterol
690 mg sodium
33 grams carbohydrate
4 grams fiber
29 grams protein