Savory Rice and Veggie Casserole
2 large green peppers, chopped
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
¾ cup water
1½ teaspoons canola oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
¾ cup uncooked long grain rice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick frying pan, sauté green peppers, mushrooms and onion in water and oil until tender.
2. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
3. Add tomatoes, beans, rice, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup of the cheese.
6. Transfer to a 2½ quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
7. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 6 servings
One serving (1⅓ cups) equals:
9.5 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat)
11 mg cholesterol
523 mg sodium
44 grams carbohydrate
9.5 grams fiber
14 grams protein