At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Chicken Chili Recipe
Chili gets a lean, mean makeover with chicken instead of ground beef. The chicken simmers slowly, absorbing a wonderful variety of spices that make it burst with flavor. On those cold, blustery evenings when you crave something hot and hearty to warm you up, chicken chili is the perfect meal. If you’ve only experienced chili with beef, try this recipe for an amazingly different and comforting chili everyone will love. (More Chili Recipes)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 pounds ground chicken
2 (15-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
Water, as needed
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until simmering.
2. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, pepper flakes, cayenne and 1 teaspoon salt and cook (stirring often) until the vegetables are softened (about 10 minutes).
3. Increase the heat to medium-high. Stir in half of the chicken, about 1/2 pound at a time, and cook while breaking up any chunks with a wooden spoon until no longer pink (about 6 minutes).
4. Add beans, tomatoes and tomato puree and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for one hour.
5. Press the remaining ground chicken into a ball, then pinch off teaspoon sized pieces and stir them into the chili.
6. Uncover and continue to simmer; stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and the chili is dark and thickened slightly (about 40 minutes). If the chili begins to stick to the bottom of the pot, stir in 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer.
7. Season with salt to taste. Serve with sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Try one of our fan-favorite chicken recipes:
Click for more Chicken recipes