Last Updated on
Chili is a popular dish for those with adventurous taste buds. The name is derived from the word chile which is Spanish in origin and refers to the spicy chili pepper.
The Best Crockpot Chili Recipe and its History
The first chili recipe dates back to the 1850’s and includes dried beef, suet, dried chili peppers and salt. The ingredients were pounded together and formed into bricks so they could be eaten on the go.
Winning Chili Recipe and Ingredients
Chili can be made with or without beans and meat and there are a variety of other ingredients you can use to customize it to your liking. Here are some varieties you can make.
Chili Con Carne: Meat lovers favor this type of chili where there are no beans and a lot of beef. Peppers and spices are added and occasionally you might find tomatoes and onions floating around but not much else
Chili Verde: This chili gets its name due to the use of green chilis. Here, chunks of pork are simmered in local Hatch peppers.
Carne Adovada: This is a pork-based New Mexico specialty with a broth centered around potent, red dried peppers. It has a drier, thicker consistency than most chilis and is therefore, often served in a taco shell.
White Chicken Chili: Those who are looking for a leaner meat in their chili might prefer this white chili which can be made with turkey or chicken. Other ingredients include pale cannellini beans and a good deal of hot peppers and spice.
Rocky Mountain Chili: So named because it uses game that is local to the Rocky Mountain area, ground elk is the main ingredient of this dish. Also added are chipotles as well as chocolate and coffee which takes this chili recipe to the next level.
Vegan Black Bean Chili: Though some may think it’s a sin to eat meatless chili, there are versions meant to suit vegan and vegetarian diets. This type of chili counts on legumes to provide flavor and texture and rounds it out with tomatoes, onions and spices.
Today, chili remains a favorite meal and is often made in cook offs. In fact, If you’re ready for the big time and want to compete (it’s a lot of fun, food and friendship), find a chili cook-off in your area with the International Chili Society’s Chili Cook-Off Locator.
I’m sure with all the award winning recipes that have been made, there are plenty out there that are delicious but we promise that this blue-ribbon chili is the best chili recipe you’ll ever make. With surprise ingredients like beer and unsweetened cocoa, the blend of seasonings and flavors creates a mouth watering chili that will have them begging for the recipe. For the brave souls that like more fire, double the hot sauce to kick it up a notch.Print
This chili has been taste tested by people that have searched high and low for the best chili recipe and they agreed…it is definitely a winner!
- 2 1/2 lb. lean chuck, ground
- 1 lb. lean pork, ground
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 oz. hunt’s tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can beer (12 oz.)
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons instant beef bouillon (or 6 cubes)
- 2 Tablespoons cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon warm water
- In a large saucepan brown 1 1/4 pounds of the ground meat (the beef and the pork), drain the fat.
- Remove meat (the beef and the pork). Brown the rest of the ground meat, drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add the garlic and onion, cook and stir until tender.
- Add the other half of the meat and the tomato sauce, water, beer, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar, coriander, cocoa, and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered , for 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornmeal and flour, then add the warm water and mix well.
- Stir into chili and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.
If you accidentally add too much hot sauce or spice to your chili, serve it with sour cream or extra cheese on top. Dairy contains a protein called casein that cools the burning heat of spicy foods.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best chili recipe, winning chili recipe, Best crockpot chili recipe