Who said red wine had to just be for drinking? With this recipe, you can use red wine to make a delicious dinner for your whole family. The ingredients list for this bow tie Bolognese might be on the lengthier side, but indulging every once in a while never killed anyone.
Kids will enjoy this recipe because it's rich with savory flavor. There's none of the bitterness or blandness that gets kids protesting. You can make this meal knowing that everyone will be eager to dive in as soon as they're seated around the table.
If you want to make a healthier version of this recipe, try using leaner ground beef. Find the leanest ground beef you can at the store. 93/7 or 94/6 is often the leanest ground beef you can find. If you want leaner beef, you'll likely need to go to a butcher. Leaner ground beef is lower in fat, which means it's lower in calories.
If you enjoy this recipe, be sure to check out all of the other wonderful recipes we have available. We've got hundreds of recipes, so you'll definitely have plenty to look through! From classics to unique twists on favorite foods, you'll find anything and everything on Moms Who Think. Enjoy!
Bow Tie Bolognese
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup chopped onion
1 small carrot, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
½ cup red wine
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ pound bow tie pasta
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 4 minutes longer.
4. Add the tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce begins to thicken, about 15 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
7. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the bow tie pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
8. Serve the sauce over the pasta. Serve with a tossed green salad and a loaf of Italian bread. Makes 4 servings.