If you're looking for a delicious pasta recipe to liven up your weeknight dinners, we've got just the dish for you! This spaghetti with meat sauce recipe will satisfy your cravings for pasta but with a healthy twist. With the addition of green pepper and lean turkey, you can feel good about serving this tasty meal to your little ones. And they won't even know you snuck in some vegetables. To top it off, this recipe requires very few ingredients and it won't take up all your time in the kitchen. So grab your ingredients and get ready to make your new favorite pasta dish!
Healthy Spaghetti With Meat Sauce
- 1 lb. ground turkey, lean
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. spaghetti, uncooked
- nonstick cooking spray
1. Coat a large skillet with nonstick spray. Preheat over high heat.
2. Add turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain and discard fat.
3. Stir in tomatoes with juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and simmer for added 15 minutes. (For a creamier sauce, give the sauce a whirl in a blender or food
4. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
5. Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 5 oz of sauce with 9 oz of cooked spaghetti
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 51 mg
Sodium: 248 mg
Total fiber: 5 g
Protein: 28 g
Carbohydrates: 71 g
Potassium: 593 mg
Serve this spaghetti and meat sauce dish with a side salad and crunchy garlic bread for a complete meal. And if you miss the cheese, it can't hurt to sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on top. Feel free to make any modifications you need to make it your own, including substituting ground turkey with ground beef or replacing the spaghetti with your favorite pasta noodles. And if you loved this recipe, try our baked spaghetti. Enjoy!