At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Mexi-Turkey Noodle Dish
2 cups uncooked yolk free wide noodles
2 pounds lean ground turkey
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
½ cup water
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 envelope reduced sodium taco seasoning (or make your own, recipe below)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
⅓ cup sliced ripe olives, drained (optional)
½ cup taco sauce
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1. Cook noodles according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
3. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, green chilies, taco seasoning, onion powder, chili powder, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
4. Drain noodles; place in an 11 in. x 7 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread the turkey mixture over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes.
5. Top with the lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and taco sauce. Dollop each serving with 1 Tablespoon of Greek yogurt.
Yield: 8 servings
One serving equals:
13 g fat (5 g saturated fat)
100 mg cholesterol
788 mg sodium
18 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
27 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat