Herbed Chicken Lasagna
10 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
¼ cup chopped onion
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1¾ teaspoons salt, divided
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups (24 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
½ cup egg substitute
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
⅓ cup minced fresh parsley
½ teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, broil chicken 6 inches from the heat until juices run clear; let stand for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Shred chicken with two forks or with paddle attachment on stand mixer.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, combine the shredded chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onion, basil, ¾ teaspoon salt, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper, and remaining salt.
5. In a 13×9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, place half of the noodles, overlapping them. Layer with half of the cheese mixture, half of the chicken mixture, and half of the mozzarella. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings
One serving (1 piece) equals:
7 g fat (4 g saturated fat)
43 mg cholesterol
1,038 mg sodium
17 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
28 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/etorres69.