Last Updated on
Jumbo Stuffed Shells
Bread of your choice
Jumbo Stuffed Shells Ingredients:
1 (12 ounce) package jumbo stuffed shells
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups tomato juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
½ teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1½ pounds ground sirloin
2 large egg whites
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 (8 ounce) package part-skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Two 8×8 foil baking pans
1. Cook pasta shells according to directions on package, omitting oil and salt; drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, prepare sauce; in a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion until tender. Add garlic, tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar, and season with salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sirloin until done; drain any excess fat.
4. Off the heat, add egg whites, Parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, basil, oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour a quarter of the tomato sauce in each baking pan. Stuff shells with filling. Arrange stuffed shells in baking dishes and cover with remaining sauce.
6. To prepare and eat now, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese and continue to bake for 10 minutes longer.
Makes 2 entrees, each entrée serves 4
Do not bake before freezing. Cool completely, then wrap, label, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Remove from freezer to defrost. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until heated. Sprinkle with Mozzarella and continue baking for 10 minutes longer.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3½ lean meat, 2½ starch, 1½ vegetable