Last Updated on
Chili and Cornbread Bake
2 pounds ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
2 (14½-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups frozen corn (or one 15-ounce can)
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 (14½-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
½ cup bacon, chopped
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
½ cup sour cream
⅓ cup frozen corn
Two 9×13-inch foil pan
1. In a large pot over medium heat, brown ground meat. Drain.
2. Combine ground meat with all chili ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for the cornbread topping except corn. Beat on low until smooth, stir in corn, and mix until just moistened.
4. Pour chili into 2 ungreased 9×13-inch baking dishes (one foil to freeze, one to cook now). Drop cornbread by heaping teaspoonfuls onto chili.
5. Wrap each dish entirely in plastic wrap. Top with foil, label, and freeze.
1. Take frozen chili and cornbread out of the freezer and remove plastic wrap and foil. Bake frozen at 400°F for 30 minutes.
Yield: two 9×13-inch pans (8 servings each)
Freeze up to: 4 months