Cheesy Enchilada Bake
6 pounds lean ground beef
4 green bell peppers, diced
4 medium onions, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
4 cups picante sauce
4 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
4 (14½ -ounce) cans pinto beans
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
48 corn tortillas
8 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (about 2 pounds)
4 13×9-inch foil baking dishes, greased
1. Brown beef, bell peppers, onions, and garlic in a large stockpot over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; about 30 minutes. Drain and discard fat. Stir in picante sauce, tomato sauce, beans, cumin, and salt.
2. Spread 4 cups of the meat mixture over the bottom of each baking dish. Cover the mixture with 6 corn tortillas, overlapping the edges as necessary to fit in a single layer. Spread 1 cup of cheese over the tortillas. Repeat each layer, finishing with cheese topping.
3. Wrap each dish entirely in plastic wrap. Top with foil, label, and freeze.
1. Completely thaw one dish in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Remove plastic wrap and foil from baking dish and replace foil. Bake for 40 minutes, or until center is hot and edges are bubbly.
Yield: 4 entrees, 8 servings each
Freeze up to: 4 months