Broccoli Chicken Stir Fry
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 package (6 ounces) frozen snow peas, thawed
1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon ginger
1½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons cold water
4 cups hot cooked basmati rice
1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir fry chicken in oil for 8 minutes or until lightly browned and juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
2. In the same skillet, stir fry the broccoli, red pepper, water chestnuts, snow peas, onion and garlic for 6 8 minutes or until crisp tender.
3. Return chicken to the pan; sprinkle with Allspice and ginger.
4. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a boil.
5. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Yield: 4 servings
One serving (1½ cups chicken mixture with 1 cup rice) equals:
6 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
66 mg cholesterol
504 mg sodium
65 g carbohydrate
6 g fiber
35 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2½ starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat