Teriyaki Beef Stir Fry
1 cup water
⅔ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
½ cup honey
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
1 beef flank steak (1½ pounds), cut into thin strips
2 Tablespoons canola oil
4 cups broccoli florets
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium green peppers, chopped
2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Hot cooked brown rice, optional
1. In a medium bowl combine the water, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger.
2. Pour 1 cup of the mixture into a large resealable plastic bag; add beef.
3. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
4. Drain and discard marinade from bag after one hour.
5. In a large nonstick frying pan or wok, stir fry beef in batches in oil for 3 minutes or until no longer pink.
6. Remove and keep warm.
7. Add broccoli, onion and peppers to the pan; stir fry for 4 minutes.
8. Add mushrooms; stir fry 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
9. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved marinade until smooth.
10. Return beef to the pan. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the beef mixture.
11. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Serve over brown rice if desired.
Makes 6 servings
One serving (1 cup beef mixture, calculated without rice) equals:
11 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat)
59 mg cholesterol
695 mg sodium
29 grams carbohydrate
4 grams fiber
28 grams protein