At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Easy Swiss Steak
4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (14½ ounces) stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons cold water
1. In a large nonstick frying pan, brown cubed steaks on both sides in oil over medium high heat; remove and set aside.
2. In the same frying pan, sauté the onion, celery and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and bouillon.
4. Return steaks to the pan. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1¼ to 1¾ hours or until meat is tender.
6. Combine cornstarch and water, whisking until smooth. Stir into tomato mixture.
7. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Makes 4 servings
1 steak with ¾ cup sauce equals:
8 grams fat (2 grams saturated fat)
65 mg cholesterol
746 mg sodium
18 grams carbohydrate
3 grams fiber
28 grams protein