French Bread Cheeseburgers
¾ pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon ketchup
1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
4 slices (1 oz. each) reduced fat American cheese
1 egg white, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a large frying pan, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
2. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, mustard and ketchup; set aside.
3. Unroll the bread dough starting at the seam.
4. Form dough into a 14×12 inch rectangle. Spoon meat mixture lengthwise down the center of the dough; top with cheese slices.
5. Bring long sides of dough to the center over filling; pinching the seam to seal.
6. Place the filled dough seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
7. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
8. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 4 servings
1 slice equals:
10.5 grams fat (4.5 grams saturated fat)
49 mg cholesterol
975 mg sodium
43 grams carbohydrate
2 grams fiber
32 grams protein