6 lb. turkey breast with bones (with at least 2 cups meat)
2 medium onions
3 stalks celery
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon salt
to taste black pepper
1/2 lb. Italian pastina or pasta
1. Place turkey breast in large 6-quart pot. Cover with water until at least 3/4 full.
2. Peel onions, cut into large pieces, and add to pot. Wash celery stalks, slice, and add to pot.
3. Simmer covered for about 2 1/2 hours.
4. Remove carcass from pot. Divide soup into smaller, shallower containers for quick cooling in refrigerator.
5. After cooling, skim off fat.
6. While soup cools, remove remaining meat from turkey carcass. Cut into pieces.
7. Add turkey meat to skimmed soup, along with herbs and spices.
8. Bring to boil and add pastina. Continue cooking on low boil for about 20 minutes, until pastina is done. Serve at once or refrigerate for later reheating.
Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts of soup)
Serving size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 101 mg
Sodium: 141 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 33 g
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Potassium: 344 mg