At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
20 Clove Garlic Chicken
3 lb. frying chicken, cut into serving pieces
salt and black pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) vermouth
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
20 cloves Garlic, peeled (20 is correct)
2 stalks celery, sliced
juice of 1 lemon
grated peel of 1 Lemon
1. Remove the skin from the chicken pieces. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
2. Warm the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides, and remove to a platter when golden.
3. In a large mixing bowl, blend together the white wine, vermouth, parsley, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
4. Add the garlic and celery, and mix to coat. With a slotted spoon, transfer the coated vegetables to a slow cooker.
5. Add the chicken pieces to the remaining herb and wine mixture and coat well.
6. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the lemon juice and peel over the top of the chicken.
7. Pour the rest of the wine and herb mixture over the top of the chicken.
8. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the thickest cuts. Discard the celery and garlic and serve warm.