¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1½ cups huckleberries
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, for garnish
Warm maple syrup
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium size mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg with the sugar, then stir in the buttermilk, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
3. Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. The batter should have the consistency of thick cream with some lumps. Do not over mix.
4. Heat a large griddle or 2 large non-stick skillets over medium-high heat, then brush each lightly with some of the remaining melted butter. Gently drop the batter into the skillets by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart. Press a few huckleberries into each pancake and cook until the undersides are golden brown and bubbles are breaking on top, about 1½ minutes. Turn and cook 1½ minutes longer on the other side.
5. Keep the pancakes warm in a low oven as you cook the rest of the batter. Divide the pancakes among warmed plates and top with the strawberries. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve with warm maple syrup.