Last Updated on
Healthy Bean and Macaroni Soup Recipe
2 cans (16 oz each) great northern beans
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
2 cups carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up (or 1 ½ lb canned, whole, cut up)*
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
1 bay leaf, crumbled
4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
*If using canned tomatoes, sodium content will be higher. Try no-salt-added canned tomatoes to keep sodium lower.
1. Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
2. Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
4. Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
5. Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
6. Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
7. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.
Yield: 16 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 1 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 154 mg
Total fiber: 5 mg
Protein: 8 mg
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Potassium: 524 mg