At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Healthy Pupusas Revueltas Recipe
1 lb. chicken breast, ground
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 lb. lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium green pepper, seeded, minced
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups instant corn flour (masa harina)
6 cups water
1. In nonstick skillet, sauté chicken in oil over low heat until it turns white. Stir chicken constantly to keep it from sticking.
2. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook chicken mixture through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in refrigerator.
3. Meanwhile, place flour in large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make stiff, tortilla-like dough.
4. When chicken mixture has cooled, mix in cheese.
5. Divide dough into 24 portions. With your hands, roll dough into balls and flatten each into 1/2–inch thick circle. Put spoonful of chicken mixture in middle of each circle of dough and bring edges to center. Flatten ball ofdough again until it is 1/2–inch thick.
6. In very hot iron skillet, cook pupusas on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.
Yield: 12 servings
Serving size: 2 pupusas
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 7 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 33 mg
Sodium: 223 mg
Total fiber: 5 g
Protein: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 38 g
Potassium: 272 mg