Last Updated on
Healthy Rockport Fish Chowder Recipe
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced
2 cups potatoes, raw, peeled, cubed
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cups bottled clam juice
8 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 lb. fresh or frozen (and thawed) cod or haddock fillets, cut into 3/4–inch cubes
1/4 cup flour
3 cups lowfat milk
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and celery, and sauté for about 3 minutes.
2. Add carrots, potatoes, thyme, paprika, and clam broth. Wrap peppercorns and bay leaf in cheese cloth. Add to pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, then add fish and simmer for an added 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily and is opaque.
3. Remove fish and vegetables. Break fish into chunks. Bring broth to boil and continue boiling until volume is reduced to 1 cup. Remove bay leaf and peppercorns.
4. Shake flour and 1/2 cup lowfat milk in container with tight-fitting lid until smooth. Add to broth in saucepan, along with remaining milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and is thickened.
5. Return vegetables and fish chunks to stock and heat thoroughly. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 6 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 34 mg
Sodium: 302 mg
Total fiber: 2 g
Protein: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Potassium: 602 mg