Last Updated on
Healthy Oven-Fried Fish Recipe
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 lb. fish fillets, such as cod
1 Tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
¼ cup skim milk or 1% buttermilk
2 drops hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 cup cornflakes, crumbled, or regular bread crumbs
1 fresh lemon, cut in wedges
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease baking sheet with vegetable oil.
2. Brush fillets with lemon juice.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine milk, hot pepper sauce, and garlic.
4. In a separate shallow bowl, combine pepper, salt, and onion powder with cornflake crumbs.
5. Let fillets sit briefly in milk. Remove and coat fillets on both sides with seasoned crumbs. Let stand briefly until coating sticks to each side of fish.
6. Arrange on lightly oiled baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20 minutes on middle rack without turning.
8. Serve with fresh lemon. For a healthy side, serve with Cauliflower ‘Tots’ (see recipe below).
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cut piece
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 80 mg
Sodium: 325 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 30 g
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Potassium: 453 mg
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 large egg
1 large egg white
½ cup onion, minced
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
½ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Steam cauliflower florets in a microwave safe bowl with a small amount of water, covered for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain well. Finely chop and put in medium bowl.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the cauliflower and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon 1 tablespoon of cauliflower mixture into your hands and roll into small tots.
5. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.