Apple Dumpling Day
Yes Virginia, There Really is an Apple Dumpling Day!
September 17th is nationally recognized as Apple Dumpling Day, one of the many events used to kick off the glorious apple harvesting season. We were late making our dumplings this year because it just didn’t feel like fall yet. The hot, muggy weather made it very unmotivating to pick apples, so here we are over a week late but still filled up on apple dumplings and ice cream.
For all you need to know about all the apple varieties, check out The Washington State Apple Commission website where you’ll find everything from the sweetness meter to what purpose each variety is best for.
Then bake! We’ve got the most delicious old-fashioned (and easy) Apple Dumpling Recipe on Earth. Really. Make sure you pick up some vanilla bean ice cream as the traditional side treat.
Apple Dumpling Recipe
1 pastry for 2-crust pie
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 cups water
3 Tablespoons butter (softened)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
6 apples (peeled and cored)
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 Tablespoons butter (softened)
1. Roll pastry slightly less than 1/8″ thick. Cut into 7″ squares.
2. Bring syrup ingredients to boil. Boil 3 minutes.
3. Put apple on center of each pastry square. Fill with mixture of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. Dot each with teaspoon of butter.
4. Bring points of pastry up over apple and overlap.
5. Place a few inches apart in baking pan. Pour 1 cup hot syrup mixture around dumplings.
6. Bake at 425 degrees F for 45 minutes. Just before serving pour rest of warm syrup over dumplings and serve with cream.