Steak Tacos with Cucumber-Avocado Salsa
1 medium English cucumber, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
2 medium firm-ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
½ red onion, diced
Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
Salt to taste
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1¼ pounds top sirloin steaks (about 1¼ inches thick)
Twelve 6-inch corn tortillas
3 cups shredded red cabbage
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Combine all salsa ingredients in medium bowl and toss gently to combine. Refrigerate and serve within an hour of preparing.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat it over medium-high heat or prepare the grill.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, garlic, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne. Rub the spice mixture into both sides of the steaks.
4. Grill or broil the steaks for 5 minutes per side, turning once, for medium rare or to your desired degree of doneness. Remove from the grill and let the meat sit for 5 minutes. Carve into thin slices.
5. Warm the tortillas by placing them on the grill for about 30 seconds, turning once. Or place 6 tortillas at a time between two moist paper towels and microwave for 45 seconds. Wrap in a cloth napkin or place in a tortilla warmer to keep warm.
6. Divide the carved steak, cabbage, cilantro, and salsa on warmed tortillas and top with squeezed lime juice.
Total Fat 18g
The image featured at the top of this post is ©P Maxwell Photography/Shutterstock.com.