1 ½ lbs. round or rump beef
2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can (16 oz.) canned tomatoes
3 large peeled onions, thinly sliced
1 minced, peeled clove garlic
½ teaspoon crushed dry thyme
Makes 6 servings
1. Trim excess fat off meat. Cut into 6 serving-size pieces. Combine flour, salt, and pepper.
2. Lay beef on bread board. Sprinkle it with half of flour mixture, then with a meat mallet, pound flour into it.
3. Turn over, and pound remaining flour into other side.
4. Heat oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Brown meat well in it on side over medium heat, turn and brown on other side.
5. Add rest of ingredients. Stir well, cover, simmer 1 ¾ – 2 hours, or until meat is tender.