Santa Fe Meatloaf
Vegetable oil spray
1 onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 slices high-quality white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
½ cup whole milk
2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
¾ cup frozen corn
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper
½ cup barbecue sauce
1. Line slow cooker with aluminum collar, then line with foil sling and coat with vegetable oil spray. Microwave onion, bell pepper, oil, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, and chili powder in bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Mash black beans, bread, and milk into paste in large bowl using potato masher. Mix in onion mixture, ground beef, cheddar, corn, eggs, cilantro, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper using hands.
3. Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker and press into even layer. Brush meatloaf with ¼ cup barbecue sauce. Cover and cook until meatloaf is tender, about 4 hours on low.
4. Position oven rack 6 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. Using sling, transfer meatloaf with foil rimmed baking sheet, allowing juice to drain back into slow cooker. Press edges of foil flat, brush meatloaf with remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce, and broil until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
You might also like:
Food and Recipes Menu
- Food and Recipes
- Dinner Ideas
- Soups - Side Dishes - Salad Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Kids Recipes