1 1/2 cups water
1 cup chicken stock or broth, fat skimmed from top
1 1/3 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1 cup celery, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 cup water chestnuts, sliced
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
to taste black pepper
1. Bring water and stock to boil in medium-size saucepan.
2. Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
4. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet.
5. Sauté onion and celery over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, including reserved cooked rice. Fluff with fork before serving.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 86 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Potassium: 124 mg