2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 Tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks (about 2 cups) drained
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried ginger
½ cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
Makes 6 servings
1. Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 425°F. line a 17 inch by 11 inch by 1 inch jelly roll pan with foil, shiny side up, and coat with vegetable spray. Place squash in a large bowl.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until combine.
3. Add pineapple, salt, pepper, and ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until mixture is syrupy, about 15 minutes.
4. Pour pineapple mixture over squash and toss to coat. spread squash on prepared pan.
5. Bake 20 minutes, shaking pan after 10 minutes for even cooking, until squash is soft when pierced with a small knife.
6. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately.