1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
2 (8 ounce) filet mignons (needed for tenderness in a short period time)
salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, minced
8 ounces small mushrooms, halved
¼ cup flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup dry red wine
2½ cups chicken broth
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme
2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1. Preheat oven according to pie crust directions.
2. Season filets with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Brown steaks on both sides, leaving centers rare, about 4 minutes total.
4. Transfer to plate, let cool. Cut into ½ inch cubes.
5. Add remaining tablespoon oil, onion, mushrooms, and ½ teaspoon salt to skillet. Return to medium heat and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is well blended (about 1 minute).
7. Stir in wine and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
8. Slowly whisk in broth, tomato paste, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
9. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
10. While sauce is simmering, unfold pie crust dough and place onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake according to package directions.
11. Stir peas and carrots and beef with juices into skillet. Continue to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
12. When pie crust is done, carefully slide onto skillet and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),
Use our free meal plans so you don't have to worry about what's for dinner! They're weekly menus; complete meals with side dishes and recipes. All family pleasing dishes even picky kids will love.