1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
2 (8 ounce) filet mignons (needed for tenderness in a short period time)
salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, minced
8 ounces small mushrooms, halved
¼ cup flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup dry red wine
2½ cups chicken broth
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme
2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1. Preheat oven according to pie crust directions.
2. Season filets with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Brown steaks on both sides, leaving centers rare, about 4 minutes total.
4. Transfer to plate, let cool. Cut into ½ inch cubes.
5. Add remaining tablespoon oil, onion, mushrooms, and ½ teaspoon salt to skillet. Return to medium heat and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is well blended (about 1 minute).
7. Stir in wine and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
8. Slowly whisk in broth, tomato paste, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
9. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
10. While sauce is simmering, unfold pie crust dough and place onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake according to package directions.
11. Stir peas and carrots and beef with juices into skillet. Continue to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
12. When pie crust is done, carefully slide onto skillet and serve. Makes 4 servings.