At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Grillades and Cheese Grits
2 pounds top round steak (about ½ inch thick)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon ground red pepper
2 (14½ ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
2 cups Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 8 ounces)
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish if desired
1. Sprinkle steak with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside 1 tablespoon flour. Cut steak into 2-inch pieces; dredge in remaining flour.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add steak, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker.
3. Add vegetables and garlic to skillet; sauté 3 minutes. Add beef broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom. Stir in Italian seasoning and red pepper. Pour mixture over steak.
4. Drain 1 can tomatoes. Add drained tomatoes and remaining can tomatoes to steak mixture. Cover and cooker on low 6 hours or until steak is very tender.
5. Increase heat to high. Stir together reserved flour and 2 tablespoons water until smooth; gently stir into steak mixture. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.
6. Meanwhile, bring 8 cups water and remaining ½ teaspoon salt to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, whisking often, 5 minutes or until thickened; stir in cheese. Serve grillades over grits. Garnish, if desired.
Try one of our fan favorite Crock Pot Meals: