Ah, chicken nuggets. A favorite food of kids, and many adults. If you find yourself craving chicken nuggets, or if your kids have been begging to have them for dinner, then this recipe is for you. These sweet and sour chicken nuggets are sure to delight everyone gathered around the dinner table.
You're probably familiar with sweet and sour chicken from Chinese-American cuisine. This sweet and sour chicken certainly isn't a replica of that, but you may find similarities in the taste. This recipe is designed to be easy, so you don't have to sweat in the kitchen juggling four different bowls at once.
While we recommend serving this recipe over rice, feel free to swap that out with any side dish of your choosing. If you want to lean more into the Chinese-American route, try making your own fried rice. It isn't as difficult as it might seem!
Once you've tried this amazing recipe, take a look at some of the other recipes we have to offer. We've got a huge selection of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert recipes. Whether you're in the mood for more chicken, beef, vegetables, or something entirely different, we've got a recipe for it!
Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken Nuggets with Rice
1 10-ounce package frozen batter dipped chicken nuggets
1½ cups quick cooking rice
1 8-ounce canned pineapple chunks
1 large green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup vinegar
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1. Bake chicken nuggets according to package directions.
2. Prepare quick cooking rice according to package directions.
3. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough water to reserved juice to make 1 ½ cups liquid.
4. Pour pineapple juice mixture into a medium saucepan. Add sweet pepper. Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
5. Cover and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until pepper is crisp-tender.
6. Stir together vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and bouillon granules.
7. Stir into mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
8. Gently stir in chicken, pineapple chunks, and water chestnuts. Heat through.
9. Serve chicken mixture over hot cooked rice. Makes 4 servings.