This meringue cookie recipe adds the flavor of chocolate to the delicate puff of a meringue cookie. If ordinary meringue cookies are getting boring for you, or you want to satisfy the chocolate lover in your life, then this recipe is perfect. Let's get right into it.
Chocolate Meringue Star Cookies
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
1/3 cup (about) ground walnuts
1. Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Beat cream of tartar and egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Slowly beat in sugar, in very small amounts, continue beating until stiff.
3. Fold in cocoa, lightly combining.
4. Place meringue in a decorating bag fitted with a #4 large star tip. Pipe 1 1/4-inch stars onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with walnuts.
5. Bake 30-35 minutes or until outside is crisp and dry. Cool 5 minutes, then place on wire rack. Store in airtight container.
Other Cookies to Try
Once you're done trying these delicious chocolate meringue cookies, try your hand at making these other cookies you and your family will love:
- M&M cookies. If you and your family love chocolate chip cookies, then you're sure to love M&M cookies. M&M cookies have a distinct sweetness to them that's hard to mistake. If you want to add another layer to this cookie, try using a different flavor of M&M, like peanut M&Ms.
- Apricot cookies. This is probably one you haven't tried before! Apricot cookies are certainly not the only type of “fruit” cookie that you can make, but they're certainly among the most unique. Try to make them when you can find fresh apricots, if that's possible. If not, canned or other kinds are fine.
- Millionaire's shortbread. Regular shortbread is great, but this millionaire's shortbread might be even better. Millionaire's shortbread has chocolate on top, with a gooey caramel center. If you often find shortbread underwhelming on its own, this might be the way to fix it.
- Billionaire's shortbread. If you've tried millionaire's shortbread already, or if you want to up the decadence, then try billionaire's shortbread! The difference here is in the center: billionaire's shortbread has a salted caramel center, as opposed to the regular caramel center of the millionaire's shortbread.
- Chocolate crinkle cookies. Both gooey and crisp, chocolate crinkle cookies are sure to satisfy everyone. They're not too terribly difficult to make, and will come out tasting just right. If you have a chocolate lover in your life who's bored of chocolate chip cookies, then chocolate crinkle cookies are the way to go.