From the popular beaches to the nearly year-round warm weather, living in Jacksonville, Florida, has plenty of perks. As the most populated city in the state of Florida, it also has numerous public and private schools. A Montessori school can help your child be a part of a calm and nurturing community, even within a large city like Jacksonville. If you’ve decided the child-centered Montessori approach is right for your child, consider one of the top Montessori schools in Jacksonville.
Top Montessori Schools in Jacksonville
Authentic Montessori schools provide students with a calm and peaceful classroom environment where they can learn and grow at their own pace. If you’re looking for the right fit for your child, here are the top Montessori schools in Jacksonville:
A Child’s Place Montessori School
- 3718 Salisbury Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32216
- Highly rated for authentic Montessori teaching, a caring staff, and great communication
- Toddler $1,040-$1,580 monthly
- Pre-primary and kindergarten $955-$1,350 monthly
- Elementary $1,125-$1,370 monthly
A Child’s Place Montessori School offers programs for infants through elementary-age children in Jacksonville. The mission of this Montessori school is to provide a peaceful and nurturing classroom environment where children can learn and grow independently.
A Child’s Place has been open since 1988 and the average tenure for their teachers is 15 years. As a school, they are committed to implementing traditional Montessori ideals, including intrinsic reward, freedom in the classroom, and preparation of the classroom environment.
Academie de Montessori
- 1216 Lasalle Street, Jacksonville, FL 32207, United States
- Highly rated for its caring staff, quality education, and nurturing environment
- Contact school for tuition
Academie de Montessori is a small Montessori school in Jacksonville that offers programs for nursery through elementary age. Like many Montessori schools, they include a hands-on curriculum, nurturing classroom environment, and self-paced learning.
In addition to their academic programs, they also enrich students’ learning with art, music, dance, and foreign language classes. Children are also able to explore the outdoors and learn gardening techniques.
Montessori Tides School
- 1550 Penman Rd, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
- Highly rated for low student-to-teacher ratio, family environment, and personalized education
- Toddler $8,300
- Primary $8.300-$8,900
- Elementary $9,300
Montessori Tides School offers programs for children 18 months to 12 years old. As a nationally recognized Montessori school, all of the lead teachers are specifically trained and certified in the Montessori method.
Montessori Tides School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and is also a member of the North American Montessori Teachers Association. Each teacher (or guide) at the school works to create a kind and nurturing environment in the classroom where children learn to respect one another and the environment.
J Allen Axson Montessori School
- 4763 Sutton Park Ct, Jacksonville, FL 32224
- Highly rated for strong communication, clean facility, and caring teachers
J Allen Axson Montessori School is a public magnet school in the Jacksonville area. Their goal is to provide students with a safe and nurturing environment within the classroom where all students can succeed. They provide a Montessori program for children 3 years old through 5th grade.
Every teacher at J Allen Axon Montessori is specifically trained in the Montessori method and children are able to work at their own pace in the classroom environment. The vision of the school is to prepare each student for their future in college and life through the Montessori method.
In the News
Not only is this school one of the top Montessori institutions in Jacksonville, but it also makes headlines in the news from time to time. Here are some articles that J Allen Axson Montessori School was featured in:
- March 2023 — A teacher at the school staged a concert to raise money for a non-profit that sends food home to elementary-aged children.
- April 2023 — A former principal of the school reflects on 30 years of the Cathedral Arts Project, which partnered with J. Allen Axson Montessori School in its early stages.
John E. Ford Pre K-8 School
- 1137 Cleveland St, Jacksonville, FL 32209
- Highly rated for a family environment, quality education, and caring staff
John E. Ford School is a public English and Spanish Montessori school with programs for students in preschool through 8th grade. John E. Ford Pre K-8 is the only public English and Spanish Montessori school in the area and was voted one of the best Montessori schools in Jacksonville.
Each classroom has diverse Montessori materials that allow students to work independently and at their own pace. The mission at John E. Ford School includes providing educational excellence through their bilingual Montessori program.
In the News
Rated as one of the top Montessori schools in Jacksonville, it's no surprise that John E. Ford Montessori School made a few headlines. Here are some of those articles:
- April 2023 — John E. Ford Montessori School's former principal looks back at the partnership with the Cathedral Arts Project.
- November 2018 — A teacher of the school became a semifinalist for the EDDY Awards Teacher of the Year.
Deerwood Academy Preschool
- 7575 Centurion Pkwy, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Highly rated for a safe environment, caring staff, and excellent curriculum
- Contact school for tuition
Deerwood Academy Preschool offers a Montessori program for infants and preschool-age children. They offer a values-focused curriculum that aims to prepare children for success in the future.
Deerwood Academy offers education and care for children starting at 6 weeks old. Each teacher at Deerwood Academy is dedicated to guiding students through the Montessori method. In addition to its academic preschool program, it also offers after-care and enrichment programs for elementary-age children.
Ivybrook Academy Julington Creek
- 200 N Ridgecrest Ln, Jacksonville, FL 32259
- Highly rated for its amazing staff, great communication, and beautiful facility
- Contact school for tuition
Ivybrook Academy Julington Creek is a half-day Montessori preschool in Jacksonville. The campus at Julington Creek is part of the larger Ivybrook Academy network that has highly-rated schools across the country.
Ivybrook Academy Julington Creek has programs for children 18 months through 6 years old. The curriculum for each multi-age classroom is designed to engage the students and meet the individual needs of the children in that group. The education at Ivybrook Academy is a combination of Montessori, Reggio, and the Theory of Multiple Intelligences.
No matter what appeals to you about Montessori schools, this method of education has many benefits for young children. There are many ways to implement the Montessori methods and materials at home as well, from creating a Montessori bedroom for your child to setting up Montessori bookshelves. The best Montessori schools partner with parents to create a connection between learning at home and at school. When you’re searching for a new school in your area, look into one of the top Montessori schools in Jacksonville.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Monkey Business Images/Shutterstock.com.