Mafioso Chocolate Cake with La Famiglia Chocolate Frosting is just as rich as the Don himself. Surrounded by the best ingredients instead of bullets, this is the cake to serve for family gatherings (that don't involve illegal plotting and revenge).
While the secrets of La Famiglia remain shrouded in mystery, the recipe for their chocolate cake doesn't. Enjoy!
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
3/4 cup boiling water
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
3 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup cocoa and 3/4 cup boiling water; set aside.
2. In another small bowl, dissolve baking soda in the sour cream by stirring them together.
3. In a large bowl, cream the 1/2 cup butter and 2 cups sugar. To the butter and sugar mixture, alternately add the sifted flour and the cocoa mixture with the sour cream mixture. Beat until fluffy.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold in the egg whites and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.
5. Grease a 9x13 inch pan and pour the batter into it. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 50 minutes. Frost with La Famiglia Chocolate Frosting (recipe below).
To Make La Famiglia Chocolate Frosting:
1. Cream 6 tablespoons butter or margarine in a small bowl.
2. Add 3/4 cup cocoa and confectioner's sugar alternately with milk; beat until spreading consistency. More or less milk can be used depending on the texture you want.
3. Blend in the vanilla. This yields about 2 cups of frosting.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),