Penne with Italian Eggplant and Mushroom Sauce
1 medium eggplant
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can Italian-style tomatoes (28 ounce), cut up
1 can tomato paste (6 ounce), Italian-style
8 oz. mushrooms sliced and lightly sautéed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup water
3 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted & sliced (or pitted ripe olives)
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, snipped
4 cups hot cooked penne pasta
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Cut eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
2. In a 6 quart slow cooker combine eggplant, onion, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, garlic, wine, water, and oregano.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
4. Stir in olives and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve over pasta with Parmesan cheese.