This is an easy to make prime rib recipe that makes a meal into an elegant event.
If you are looking for much more detailed instructions including carving and roasting times and temperatures, refer to our Prime Rib Cooking Instructions page.
Delicious and tender, prime rib is a luxurious main dish for special dinners. Serve with herb roasted new potatoes and garlic buttered green beans for a presentation that will impress even the fussiest guests. Yorkshire pudding is a British favorite that always goes well with Prime Rib.
1 (4 to 5 pound) prime rib roast
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tablespoons rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Place the roast in a shallow roasting pan and set aside 30 minutes to room temperature. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Combine all other ingredients. Rub the prime rib with mixture. Bake 15 minutes until the meat begins to brown.
3. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and continue cooking according to the chart below
Cooking Time for Rare (120°)
3 Ribs, 7 to 8 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours at 325°
4. Every half hour or so, baste the ends of the roast with the drippings. Use the meat thermometer about 30 minutes before the end of the roasting time. Make sure to insert it in the thickest part of the meat, not touching the fat or bone.
When the internal temperature reaches 120°, remove roast from the oven and cover with foil. If you remove a prime rib from the oven when the temperature is over 125°, it will be way too dry and overdone.
5. Let the roast sit for twenty to thirty minutes. It will continue to cook during this time, reaching a temperature of about 125° to 130°. This resting period allows the juices and flavors to permeate the roast.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),
Use our free meal plans so you don't have to worry about what's for dinner! They're weekly menus; complete meals with side dishes and recipes. All family pleasing dishes even picky kids will love.