Mom’s Meatloaf Recipe
Sides That Go
A meatloaf recipe is as varied as the cook who makes it. Some make meatloaf as an old-fashioned comfort food, carrying on a tradition of a home cooked reliable meal the family can gather around.
Others use a meatloaf recipe as a way to take boring ground meat and give it a big injection of flavor through different spices and seasonings.
While this meatloaf recipe is our favorite, we also other meatloaf recipes that are just as tasty. Each one has a distinctly different flavor so you’re sure to find one that suits your taste perfectly.
Mama Shirley’s Meatloaf recipe takes a bit longer, but is a delicious old-fashioned version we used to have for dinner once a week without fail.
This meatloaf recipe is one that mixes the flavor of good old fashioned basic meatloaf with the added hint of sweetness from brown sugar. It isn’t too sweet, and it definitely isn’t boring. You can use plain ground beef, or a meatloaf mixture (like ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal mixed together).
You can add ground sausage for a bit of a kick, or ground turkey for a leaner version. Whichever meat you choose, the ingredients in this meatloaf recipe will help you create a meatloaf you’ll make over and over again.
1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup catsup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the onion soup mix, ground beef, egg and milk together.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the catsup, brown sugar and mustard.
4. Spoon half the sauce mixture on the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 loaf pan.
5. Form the meat combination into a well packed loaf shape, on top of the sauce mixture in the loaf pan.
6. Spoon the remaining brown sugar sauce mixture onto the top of the meatloaf.
7. Bake uncovered, for about an hour. When done, take the meatloaf out of the pan and place on a serving plate. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
This is a meatloaf recipe you’ll use again and again, enjoy!
Perfect Mashed Potatoes for Meat Loaf
Meatloaf needs mashed potatoes to qualify as the ultimate comfort meal. These are the tastiest, creamiest mashed potatoes and go perfectly with meatloaf according to comfort food eaters everywhere!
salt and pepper
2 cups heavy cream
3 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons chopped chives
1. Put the potatoes into a large pot, add 2 Tablespoons salt, and cover with cold water.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well.
3. Heat the butter and cream in a small saucepan.
4. Mash the potatoes well with a potato masher until smooth and free of chunks.
5. Add the hot cream/butter mixture and season with salt and pepper. Mix well, adding the chives while mixing.
|Meatloaf||Sides That Go|