1 lb. black beans, dry
7 cups water
1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vinegar (or lemon juice)
6 cups rice, cooked in unsalted water
1 jar (4 oz.) sliced pimento, drained
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Pick through beans to remove bad ones. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
2. In large soup pot or Dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil for 1 hour.
3. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3–4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally, and add water if needed.
4. Remove and mash about a third of beans. Return to pot. Stir and heat through.
5. When ready to serve, remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice.
6. Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 8 oz
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 206 mg
Total fiber: 14 g
Protein: 21 g
Carbohydrates: 98 g
Potassium: 852 mg
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),