At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Cheddar Baked Cauliflower
Cheddar baked cauliflower is another great way to get little ones to eat their vegetables. Kids love the taste of cheddar, so this easy side dish gives them a taste they love with a vegetable they may turn their nose up at plain.
1 large head cauliflower
1 1/3 cups whole milk or half & half
8 ounces aged cheddar cheese (good quality)
3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
4 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Trim the cauliflower & break into small florets.
3. Boil in salted water for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.
4. Drain in a colander and then place in a well buttered ovenproof baking dish.
5. Add the milk, flour and butter to a saucepan.
6. Heat to boiling; whisking with a wire whisk continuously until the sauce is thick and smooth.
7. Allow to simmer for 2 more minutes.
8. Add three-quarters of the grated cheese, mustard, a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper.
9. Cook for one more minute, stirring well.
10. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
11. Mix the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs together, sprinkle over the top.
12. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Serves 6.