At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Broccoli and Bow Tie Pasta
Broccoli with bow ties can be used as a side dish or easily used as the main dish. When using this recipe for the main dish at dinner, just add chicken to give it heartiness.
8 cups broccoli florets (from 4 heads)
1/2 lb farfalle pasta (bow tie)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water up to the boil, add broccoli florets, and cook for 3 minutes.
2. Remove broccoli with a large slotted spoon and place into a large serving bowl.
3. Making sure the water is still boiling, add pasta. Cook according to package directions (about 10 to 12 minutes).
4. Drain well and add cooked pasta to the broccoli.
5. While pasta is cooking, toast the pine nuts: place a small skillet over medium-low heat and add nuts to skillet; stir often. Set aside.
6. Heat the butter and oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add both minced garlic and lemon zest and saute for one minute.
7. Remove skillet from burner and add the salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice.
8. Stir to combine then pour over the broccoli and pasta in the large bowl; toss.
9. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts and parmesan over dish, and serve.