Last Updated on
Healthy Limas and Spinach Recipe
2 cups frozen lima beans
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup fennel, cut in 4-oz strips
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups leaf spinach, washed thoroughly
1 Tablespoon distilled vinegar
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon raw chives
1. Steam or boil lima beans in unsalted water for about 10 minutes. Drain.
2. In skillet, sauté onions and fennel in oil.
3. Add beans and stock to onions and cover. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in spinach. Cover and cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in vinegar and pepper. Cover and let stand for 30 seconds.
6. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Yield: Makes 7 servings
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 84 mg
Total fiber: 6 g
Protein: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Potassium: 452 mg