If you are looking for a healthy and tasty side dish, then look no further. This country style green beans and potatoes recipe is perfect any time of the year.
Country Style Green Beans and Potatoes
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
8 slices bacon, quartered
1 small onion, chopped
5 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups cubed red potatoes
1. Wash the green beans, trim the ends, and remove the strings.
2. Cut the green beans into 1 1/2-inch slices; set aside. Fry the bacon until crisp, then remove it from the pan and set aside.
3. Sauté the onion in the same pan until tender. Add water to the pan.
4. Bring to a boil; add cooked bacon, green beans, salt, and pepper and return to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add the potatoes and cook 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Drain and serve.
The Healthy Side of Green Beans
Adding green beans to any meal will instantly improve the overall healthiness of the meal because they are full of nutrients. They are a great source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, potassium, and folate. Green beans have a lot of fiber and protein that keep you full. Because of this, green beans are an excellent food to help you maintain and lose weight.
Red potatoes are also very healthy. They promote digestive health because they are a great source for dietary fiber. The fiber in these potatoes helps maintain a healthy digestive system and helps keep you full. They are low in fat and provide 45 percent of the daily recommended intake of vitamin C. Also, red potatoes have more potassium than bananas.
Now that you know how healthy green beans and red potatoes are, you might want to eat this delicious side dish more often, and we don't blame you! This country style green beans and potatoes dish will go great with steak, chicken, and BBQ ribs. You can even have it with hamburgers and hotdogs. Eating such a healthy side dish allows you to enjoy a yummy dessert guilt free.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©David Ridley | Dreamstime.com.