3 lb boneless beef chuck top roast, all visible fat removed
1 medium onion, sliced thin, 2 carrots, sliced thin
1 rib celery, sliced thin
1 cup dry red wine (or tomato juice)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon thyme
3 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Marinate meat in your choice of Money Saver Diet marinades for several hours, turning occasionally.
2. Place marinated beef in center of large piece of heavy duty foil lining a roasting pan.
3. Place under broiler, turning all sides of meat until browned. Turn off broiler heat.
4. Place sliced onion, carrots, and celery around meat. Mix together wine (or tomato juice), tomato paste, parsley, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and cloves; strain liquid into a saucepan and skim off fat.
6. Mix cornstarch with 1 tbs water and stir into strained juice.
7.Cook gently, stirring until slightly thickened. Allow to cool completely, and again skim off fat.
8. To serve, slice meat thin and surround with vegetables, pour thickened juices over and reheat.
Serves 7 to 8