1 cup butter, divided
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks (8 cups)
4 cups sliced (¼ inch rounds) carrots
2 teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Makes 8 servings
1. Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 inch by 13 inch ovenproof glass baking dish with vegetable spray. Set aside.
2. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
3. Melt ½ cup of the butter in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Add potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon. Remove to prepared baking dish.
5. Add enough boiling water to cover vegetables. Cover with foil and place in oven. Bake about 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
6. Remove from oven. Drain vegetables in a colander.
7. Line a 17 inch by 11 inch jelly roll pan with foil, shiny side up, and coat with vegetable spray. Arrange vegetables in an even layer in prepared pan.
8. Melt remaining ½ cup butter and pour over vegetables. Return to oven and bake for 55 minutes, shaking pan every 15 minutes, until brown and crispy. Serve immediately.